viernes, 15 de julio de 2011

My Best Friend

I will always remember how and when I meet my friend. Some people believe that there is no such thing as a true pal. I though the same until…

It was the first day of classes and I was starting the fourth grade. It seemed to be just a regular school beginning. Nothing out of the ordinary year start.

You can imagine how usual a first day is, especially in the fourth grade. Everyone was, of course, talking about everything they had done during their vacation time. Some stories were better than others, and some just so unbelievable. I still think of those people and wonder if story was the truth. Nevertheless, interesting and a real attention getter.

Suddenly there was a sound every child, and some adults, love to hear. This sound is maybe the most expected noise of the day. No, I am not talking about the dismissal bell but the recess one. I imagine we are somewhat condition to begin feeling a little unpleasantly excited, a bit hungry, and for some cases slightly salivated. As Ivan Pavlov would say that his dogs were conditioned, I believe that in some ways small bell he used has the same effect on us than the school’s when it rings.

Anyway, back to my story. It was recess time and I was sitting alone because I consider myself a shy person. And as you might know, timid people are not usually surrounded by friends. As I was thinking about a million things, I heard a voice in the distance. Could it be that someone was actually talking to me. Or was it someone trying to say something to a person that looked like me? Even though, I thought  it wasn’t for me, I would at least have to tell the girl that she had the wrong person.

Again I heard the voice calling to me. Could this really be for me? Could this person actually want to talk to me? Doesn’t this person know who I am? Doesn’t this girl know that I am not popular? Doesn’t she know that I do not have many friends? Could it be possible? All of these thoughts run through anybody’s head, especially when you are a kid trying to fit in a world that seems to be so complicated.

As I saw the person approaching, I could see her coming closer. So, I realized that it was for me. Now, many more questions run through my mind. Suddenly, my train of thought was interrupted by a simple “Hello, my name is…”

It is amazing sometimes how we can’t remember the ordinary events in our lives, but we can always recall the special ones. Everyone has those extraordinary moments when we feel unique and singular. Those few seconds that change our future in an instant, making our lives a much better place.  

The first thing I noticed was her two pigtails holding her brown shiny hair and a very joyful expression on her face. We were approximately the same height and wore the similar uniforms, as if it mattered. Her big brown eyes told me she was an honest person. You can tell a lot from a person just by looking into their eyes. Someone once said that they are the gateway to the soul.

After a very informal introduction, we began making questions to each others about everything that we could think of. From things like, “What so you like?” to “Where do you live?”. Every time, getting a little bit more personal and of course more intimate.  I guess we ask questions to get to know someone, but I guarantee that never in a million years will we ever get to know someone perfectly.

As we were exchanging information, I noticed she sat down next to me. It is important that the person who is to become your best friend make you feel comfortable. Even in an uncomfortable situation. So as we continued talking, she invited me to sit next to her in class. This was new to me. Did this person want to be my friend? Why was she so nice?  Like everyone, many thoughts go running around in your head and of course you must be careful not to say them out loud because obviously you do not want to offend anyone, especially someone trying to be your friend.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario